This is an optional quest, however it is directly associated with the main quest and the difficulty of the Great Gate fight. It is recommended you do this quest if you are a high level character and need to fight Dremora Valkynaz and Markynaz on a regular basis. The more guards for Martin, the better. If you fail to get aid from all/some of the cities the missing guards are replaced by one Bruma Militia Man each, but they are weaker than the guardsmen.
- Anvil: Will send 2 guards.
- Bravil: Will send 1 guard, a high-level captain, Viera Lerus
- Cheydinhal: Will send 2 guards, 1 is a high-level captain, Ulrich Leland (Unless you have started Corruption and Conscience)
- Chorrol: Will send 2 guards.
- Imperial City: Will not send any guards.
- Kvatch: Will send 1 guard.
- Leyawiin: Will send 1 guard.
- Skingrad: Will send 1 guard.
Basically this quest involves going to each major city in the province of Cyrodiil and speaking to the Count or Countess about asking for aid. The story is the same. They cannot spare any defenders until the Oblivion Gate outside their city is closed. Each gate is basically the same more or less with the exception of Cheydinhal's gate where you'll meet up with Farwil and the Knights of the Thorn in The Wayward Knight quest and Kvatch's gate in the Breaking the Siege of Kvatch quest, which you have already closed.
It is possible to get the help of Mazoga the Orc, if you don't mind her dying, by asking her to follow you. You can also get a Mage's Apprentice if you are Arch-Mage, a Knight of the Nine, a Dark Brotherhood member (if you are Listener), the Adoring Fan (if you are the Grand Champion in the arena), and an Atronach with the Frostcrag Spire mod. With the Fighter's Stronghold mod you can get a Knight of the True Horn. You must of course ask these people to follow you.
- In some cities, when the gate is closed the Count or Countess will not notice despite the fact that everyone else in town does. This may be caused by the existence of another Oblivion Gate nearby, closing the second gate may eliminate the problem.
- It is also possible that the Count of Skingrad may get stuck inside of his room after you have closed the Oblivion Gate. To remedy this, you must sneak inside to speak with him.
- When you complete the Vampire Cure quest, it is almost impossible to get a hold of the count. Because he will be sitting in a bedroom where his wife is sleeping, and you are unable to talk to him.But if you have enough athletics skill you can make your way to the count by running on the roof of Castle Skingrad.
- It is possible that the Count of Skingrad will be in the lord's manor before the quest, if so just sneak in and talk to him.
- You can get the key from the room of the Count during Ulterior Motives quest.