|Clavicus Vile's Shrine|
Southwest of Imperial City, north of Felgageldt Cave
| Offering: 500 |
Req. Level: 20
Masque of Clavicus Vile
- Prerequisites: An offering of 500 gold and be at least level 20.
- For tips on deafeating Umbra, see the Umbra article.
After giving Clavicus the offering of gold, he speaks of a sword he wishes to recover, "Umbra." You are given the statuette of the dog that is standing next to him, then sent off.
After you've walked a bit, the statuette will speak to you, giving a short story before pleading with you to not return the sword to Clavicus Vile.
The quest says to start in Pell's Gate, a small settlement. The treasure is actually to the west, in an Ayleid ruin, Vindasel. The ruin is not deep, but there is a crusher and a gas trap inside, so remain vigilant.
Once you have reached the destination, you will find that Umbra is not only the name of the sword, but also the person that wields it (or rather, an alias the wielder assumes). Kill Umbra and retrieve the sword.
When you return to the Shrine, you can either keep Umbra or give it to him for your reward (a dialog will ask if you want to give him the sword). If you return it, your reward will be the daedric artifact, Masque of Clavicus Vile. You will finish the quest either way, so even if you keep Umbra, you can still do the quest at the Shrine of Hermaeus Mora.
If you decide to keep the sword, the followers of him will attack you to give him the sword and gain fame for himself and it will no longer be weightless. It will then have a weight of 45 .
If you choose to side with Barbas (Clavicus Vile's dog) when he speaks to you through the Statuette of a Dog that appears in your inventory when you start the quest, and not kill Umbra, the dog part of the statue completely disappears.
On XBox 360 and PC there is a bug where when you either keep or give the sword to vile, the game freezes 5 seconds later. To avoid this, simply keep Umbra and don't return to the shrine. Unfortunatley, this will not allow to do the Shrine of Hermaeus Mora quest.
You are able to go to Vindasel and kill Umbra even if you aren't level 20 or haven't given an offering. You can then take the sword and finish the quest without starting it. (Not truely a bug, just a way around part of the quest.)
One way to get past the bug is to simply fast travel to the imperial city right when the sword is given to clavicus vile.
Avoiding the bug could be going to Vindasel and killing Umbra before the quest, then going to the shrine and starting the quest. If you already started the quest and are facing this bug, You can get past it when (whether you give him the sword or not, it does not matter) as soon as he stops talking and your quest updates, fast travel to Cheydinhal East Gate as quick as you can. The dog statue should start talking, then be removed from your inventory without freezing. (Note: The dog is the bug. The dog being removed is what makes it freeze up, but fast traveling to Cheydinhal East Gate removes the dog without freezing)
This Bug does not seem to effect PS3
Journal Entries Edit
After speaking to a follower:
- One of Clavicus Vile's worshippers has told me that in order to summon the Daedra, an offering of 500 gold must be given to the statue. [You must be level 20 to begin this quest.]
After offering to Clavicus Vile:
- When I gave my offering at the Shrine of Clavicus Vile, the Daedra Lord told me about Umbra, and how he wishes me to return to him the Umbra Sword. I should start my search in Pell's Gate.
After Barbas speaks to you:
- Barbas, the Hound of Clavicus Vile, has spoken to me through the figurine that appeared in my pack. He tells me that returning the Umbra Sword to Clavicus Vile is a mistake, likely to cause great ruin to Vile's domain.
After finding out more information about Umbra:
- I've been told that Umbra was once a resident of Pell's Gate, but now has left. Some claim to have seen her recently near the Vindasel Ruins.
After meeting Umbra and talking to her:
- I have met the one called Umbra and been offered a choice: stay and fight, or leave in peace.
If you decide to leave Umbra in peace:
- I have chosen to leave Umbra in peace. I should return to the Shrine of Clavicus Vile and make my decision known to the Daedra Lord.
If you decide to kill her and retrieve the sword:
- I have retrieved the Umbra Sword.
If you return the sword to Clavicus Vile:
- Clavicus Vile appreciated my efforts. He has taken the Umbra Sword and rewarded me with the Masque of Clavicus Vile.
If you decide not to return the sword to Clavicus Vile:
- Clavicus Vile was not pleased that I elected not to return to him the Umbra Sword.