A Wraith is essentially a more powerful Ghost. Most of their features are hidden by a large, tattered black cloak, showing only their face and hands. The skin of a Wraith is a pale, dirty green, and their face is usually contorted in a terrifying scream. Since no feet emerge from the bottom of the cloak and they move by hovering, it can be safe to assume that their body structure is the same as a Ghost - a head, a torso, and two arms. Gloom Wraiths also seem to have a tiara-like structure of spikes upon their forehead, and Faded Wraiths are obviously less visible and Ghost-like than an ordinary Wraith. Unlike Ghosts, Wraiths appear to be fully or at least slightly solid, as they are able to wield weapons. Similarly to Trolls, Wraiths have a distinct, ear-piercing screech which, along with their huge amount of HP, has earned them a certain amount of infamy with players.
Wraiths cast a powerful spell called Silence of the Grave, which causes frost damage and silence.They can carry weapons, such as Elven swords or Glass longswords.
As your character attains higher levels, wraiths completely replace ghosts as the game adapts its difficulty to your character level. Thus, wraiths are mainly encountered in dungeons and chapel basements. Like their ghost cousins, wraiths are immune to most normal weapons. They are vulnerable to silver, daedric, and enchanted weapons, as well as magic. Also, if your Hand to Hand skill is high enough (Journeyman), then you can utilize your fists to defeat them.
Wraiths can be summoned as an advanced Conjuration spell, as either a Faded Wraith or a Gloom Wraith. Gloom Wraiths have the highest HP of any summon available, making them extremely useful for Mages that are weak in defense.
A summon faded Wraith spell requires a Conjuration skill level of at least 75 (Expert). The "Summon Faded Wraith" spell can be purchased from Raminus Polus at the Arcane University, or Athragar at the Chorrol Mages Guild.
The abillity to summon a Faded Wraith is needed for Conjuration training to prove to the trainer that he should train you.
- Dwarven, Elven, or Glass Shortswords and Elven Longswords
- Wrath of Sithis- Dagger of Discipline
- Spectral Sailor- Sharpend Cutlass
Resistant to frost damage
- Wraiths are vulnerable to the Turn Undead-line of spells.
- Wraiths are vulnerable to Shock Damage (spells and staves)
- Faded Wraith – Common (800)
- Wraith – Greater (1200)
- Gloom Wraith – Grand (1600)
- Spectral Sailor –
- Gable the Traitor – Greater (1200)
- The Forlorn Watchman – There are numerous Spectral Sailors in the Emma May shipwreck.
- The Ghost Ship of Anvil – You need to retrieve a special crystal ball from a ship infested with Spectral Sailors.
- Master Trainer Quests – You need to summon a Faded Wraith to enable training (Conjuration)
Subtypes listed in order of strength, with weakest first:
- Faded Wraith
- Gloom Wraith
- Spectral Sailor
- Sanctified Ancient Spectre
- Gable the Traitor – located in the Emma May shipwreck, at the Mouth of the Panther in Blackwood. He is part of the side quest, The Forlorn Watchman. Also has a Greater Soul Level (1200).
- Wrath of Sithis – When a member of the Dark Brotherhood has broken one of the five tenets, he or she will have to defeat the Wrath of Sithis in order to gain Sithis' forgiveness.